If you suffer from heartburn and/or indigestion here are 5 supplements and a few other tips that will help to ease your discomfort and start you on the path to healing.
1. Pancreatin – This is an enzyme needed for proper digestion.
2. B complex – Take one that has 75 mg of each of the major B Vitamins. Take 3x/daily w/meals – this is needed for digestion.
3. B12 – Take extra B12 that is 1,000 mcg 2x/daily – for digestion
4. Acidophilus – as directed on label, 1/2 hour before meals – for digestion (Kyo-Dophilus from Wakunaga is nondairy)
5. Acid ease – breaks down and assimilates food
Aloe Vera – take a 1/4c on empty stomach in morning & again at bedtime – to heal the intestinal tract
Teas – Catnip, chamomile, fennel, ginger, and papaya all aid digestion and buffer to stop heartburn; chamomile relieves esophageal irritation; ginger is good for nausea
Vegetables – eat more fresh vegetables, eat slowly and chew food well.
Papaya & Pineapple -eat fresh for digestive enzymes to aid digestion
Apple cider vinegar – 1 tablespoon can mix w/water & drink during meals; No other liquids w/meals. Before you do this one, experiment with taking 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice when you have indigestion and see if it goes away. If it goes away, this means you need more stomach acid to digest food. If this is the case then you can drink apple cider vinegar with meals to aid digestion.
Avoid – caffeine, carbonated beverages, citrus juices, fried and fatty foods, processed foods, sugar, tomatoes, and spicy foods
Avoid – drinking w/meals, it dilutes stomach juices & prevents proper digestion
Avoid – eating when upset
If pain travels down your left arm or if you have a sensation accompanied by weakness, dizziness, or shortness of breath then seek emergency medical help immediately; it could be a heart attack.
Exercise- don’t forget to exercise. You should walk everyday; try for 20-30 min daily.
Let me know if you found this helpful.
Information taken from Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC